Expected OutcomesBy the end of this CAP, you will be able to maximize your experience working with executive recruiters by...
- Familiarizing yourself with the different types of recruiters you might encounter
- Identifying how to best prepare for the engagement
- Expecting what the process might look like
- Knowing what the recruiter can and cannot do for you
This CAP is for you if…
- You are actively searching for a new role and considering your options
- You are being sought out by executive recruiters and want to learn more about the process
- You want to make sure you're choosing the right recruiter
Growth & Learning
We’ve done the research so you don’t have to. Explore these valuable resources from the best experts in the field
10 Tips for Working with Executive Recruiters
10 tips to better understand the different types of recruiters, tips for maximizing your engagement, and more.
Having worked in the executive recruiting industry for over 15 years as both a recruiter and a professional executive coach, the author shares 10 proven tips with you on how executive recruiters work and how to put your best foot forward when approached by one.
6 Things You Must Know Before Working With An Executive Recruiter
Executive recruiters can lend a helping hand as you search for your next gig. Here’s how to make the most of these relationships
Understanding the Executive Recruitment Search Process
Step-by-step process of how a company seeking their candidate works with the Executive Recruiter.
The executive search process varies little between different retained executive search firms. However, recruiters seated at the largest search firms in the world as well as at the leading boutique executive search firms follow the same basic retained search process.
8 Things You Must Know About Working with an Executive Recruiter
Why you should (or shouldn't) work with a recruiter, costs associated, and the types of questions to ask before engaging with a firm.
Naturally, executives have a built-in network that can be leveraged for finding their next opportunity, but adding a recruiter to the arsenal only maximizes the array of options.
Retained Executive Search vs. Contingency: What's the Difference?
Key differences and considerations of retained executive search firms and contingent recruiting agencies.
Executive search firms provide advisory services by identifying, assessing, and selecting the best possible candidate for a role. Contingent recruiting agencies, on the other hand, leave the assessment and selection to the client.
Insights From Our Executive Career Strategists
Glean insights from HTN Executive Career Strategists about how to approach your engagement with search firms and recruiters.
Glean insights and tips on the executive recruitment process from our Humanity Talent Network Executive Career Strategists.
Leverage Your Humanity Talent Network Membership
HTN has tools and resources that can help you achieve your objectives in this CAP
Receive curated opportunities and introductions based upon your expertise and personal preferences.
- Executive-level roles
- Board positions
- Consulting engagements
- Investor introductions
- Speaking opportunities
HTN "Collectives" enable deep engagement with women & people of color who are functional and specialty area SMEs.
- Chief Financial Officers
- Chief Commercial Officers
- Chief Medical Officers
- Chief Technology Officers
- Chief Innovation Officers
Interactive events led by industry experts to help leaders navigate professional opportunities, transitions and challenges.
- Career Studios
- Roundtable Discussions
- Salon Dinners
- Annual Summit Events
Put it into Practice
It’s time to put what you learned into real-world practice. Here are a few steps you can take
Develop a list of questions for an executive recruiter based on your learnings.
Connect with a Recruiter
Make a connection with a recruiter via Linkedin and ask for a virtual coffee date to ask your questions.
Take a Screening Call
As the opportunity presents itself, agree to take 2-4 initial screening calls with recruiters and make note of the differences between the recruiters in both style and process.
Connect With a Coach
Each member has access to an Executive Career Strategist who is tasked with helping you achieve your professional goals.
A few topics you might discuss with an ECS include:
- Identifying and articulating your professional goal before meeting with an executive recruiter
- Evaluating whether companies are likely to hire Executive Recruiters for positions at your level and how you could network to find out the right Executive Recruiters to work with (i.e., certain recruiters generally work with non-profit companies for C-Suite roles).
- Targeting your LinkedIn profile to attract Executive Recruiters
A few things to share with your ECS prior to the call:
- Past executive recruiter outreach messages
- Links to jobs you may be interested in